Did you know that 1.2 billion people suffer from a variety of sleep issues worldwide? It’s a well-known fact that falling asleep with technology affects our ability to get a good night's rest. However, 95% of people still use technology within one hour before bed, ultimately affecting their ability to fall asleep faster and get enough REM sleep to wake rested.
Although using your phone before bed may not be the root of these sleep disorders, it certainly does not help.
Top 10 Sleep Disorders:
- Snoring – 25% of adults snore habitually.
- Sleep Apnea – 20% of the world population is affected by obstructive sleep apnea.
- Insomnia – 30% - 35% of adults have insomnia.
- Narcolepsy – 200,000 people in the US have narcolepsy.
- Bruxism – 10% of adults and 15% of children are affected by bruxism.
- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder – 7% - 16% of individuals may have DSP
- Shift Work Sleep Disorder – 10% of rotating and night shift workers have shift work disorder.
- Nightmares – 80% - 90% of individuals experience nightmares at some point in life.
- Sleepwalking – 8.4 million people sleepwalk.
- Hypersomnia – 5% of the population has hypersomnia.
Surprisingly enough, though, as much as technology is negatively affecting sleep, new tech products have been proven actually to help with sleep disorders. More and more innovative products are becoming available to aid in a variety of sleep disorders. From high-tech pillows that remind you to change position to smart pajamas and a variety of headbands and face masks, there is a new technology to tackle any sleep disorder you may be addressing.
Aside from simply feeling tired throughout the day and fighting to get enough sleep night after night, not getting enough proper sleep has very adverse effects on your overall health as well. You’ll be surprised how many health problems stem from sleep disorders.
Research your options and get the facts about how the top ten sleep disorders affect sleep and what high-tech products can help. With technology always changing and new products developed to continuously improve our lives, leave your phones and opt for a new type of technology in the bedroom.